Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Declare this the O Henry Month

After spending many afternoons during Ramadan surfing the internet, I came across the perfect way to pass the time: Open an O Henry short story collection. I'm surprised at how I didn't discover these before. Two of his stories always used to be my favourites but there are countless amazing ones that I stumbled upon only recently. Thus, I declare this the O Henry Month where I'll continue to post as many O Henry shorts here as I wish. One of them's already on this blog (What You Want). The rest will soon follow.

Here's an introduction to the master himself:

O Henry (1862- 1910) is a pseudonym for William Sydney Porter, an American writer from North Carolina. His famous short stories are acclaimed due to their simplicity, flow of language, everyday characters and twists at the end. As a young man he worked in a bank and was tried and convicted for embezzlement. Sentenced for 5 years at Ohio Penitentiary he developed a pen-name 'O Henry' and used to send his short stories to various magazines from jail. Released for good behaviour after serving 3 years he started writing professionally and published 10 collections with over 600 short stories during his lifetime.

Click here, for more information on O Henry & his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment